|Position Title: Program Chair
|Requisition Number: 026
|Reports to: Provost
|Status: Full Time/Exempt
|Department: Computer Science
|Date: January 2022
ABOUT UNIVERSITY OF SILICON ANDHRA
VISION: The University of Silicon Andhra will be known worldwide for its innovative programs that infuse and embed the rich traditions of India in its liberal arts-based research, sciences, and professional programs. UofSA will create an educational journey for its students which will educate aspiring leaders worldwide in all sectors of society.
MISSION: Founded upon the rich culture and values of India and rooted in the traditions of India, the University of Silicon Andhra (UofSA) serves its worldwide students and the local community by providing excellent research, professional, liberal arts, and sciences education in which the whole person scholar-practitioner learning model is integral to the learning experience. UofSA is an inclusive and diverse learning community that provides an opportunity to the students to actualize their potential as scholar-practitioners and to contribute to their local and global community with excellence, professionalism, and integrity.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIPS: The Program Chair will report to the Provost/Chief Academic Officer. Program faculty and staff will report to the Program Chair.
|JOB PROFILE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· The Department Chair will have the vision to innovate during the department’s expansion, advance the department’s concentrations and programs, increase the diversity of the student body, pursue extramural funding opportunities, and enhance its role as an excellent teaching and research entity in the University. The successful candidate will be a dynamic leader capable of guiding the department through a time of substantial change and growth, including expansion of the faculty body and increasing the external visibility of the Department.
|LEADERSHIP QUALITIES: The position requires a leader with vision, proven leadership skills, extensive academic administration experience, and a broad-based understanding of the functioning of an academic enterprise in a non-profit setting. An innovator with familiarity with academic contexts and cultures, and a track record as a positive change agent will serve UofSA and the discipline of computer science well.
The Chair should be a flexible leader and adept in different leadership styles including visionary, pacesetting, democratic, collaborative, and coaching styles as the situation demands.
The candidate must have an earned doctorate relevant to computer science, computer engineering, or a closely related field; achievements and experience commensurate with an appointment at the rank of Associate Professor. In addition, the candidate is expected to have an excellent record of scholarship and external funding; prior academic/research experience in a higher education institution, assessment experience, and a commitment to diversity and inclusiveness as well as shared governance. The candidate should demonstrate academic leadership experience in working cooperatively and effectively with faculty/colleagues, staff, and the administration.
· Experience in developing external partnerships to promote research and education, and facilitating continued improvement of the reputation and funding for the department
· Experience in Computational Linguistics with reference to Indian languages, machine learning, natural language processing, and cloud computing
· Knowledge and/or experience with the departmental research and program areas
· Knowledge of ABET/WSCUC accreditation standards, procedures, and program review and assessment procedures
· Experience in higher education innovation
· Superior communication skills, especially the ability to be an articulate advocate for UofSA to all audiences
· A strategic and “big picture” orientation – history of creatively translating vision into reality and ideals into action
· A business orientation that includes strong financial acumen
· A hands-on management style that is inclusive, empowers others to succeed, and takes advantage of the community’s skills, experience and willingness to help
· Ability to recruit and retain talented workforce
· A strong research and publications record
· Demonstrated commitment to ethical leadership
· Demonstrated success in strategic plan implementation
· Commitment to life-long learning.
University of Silicon Andhra is committed to equal opportunity and complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination. The University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, and employment practices.
Salary commensurate with experience.